(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase using that link, I’ll receive compensation at no extra cost to you to help keep this blog going)
Like most, my husband and I love waking up to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and fresh baked goods first thing in the a.m. I know, I know…I should be blending an all green smoothie or making an egg white omelette but nothing beats the comfort of a warm confection accompanying the perfect morning brew! We usually like to dip cookies in our java but it was just one of those days I was craving something a little more calorically substantial. After perusing some recipes on Pinterest, I found this one! Every time I go into the place I’m always eyeing the Starbuck’s Coffee CakeI couldn’t resist and since I had all the ingredients, I decided to give it a try!
Et viola!! My house quickly smelled like a Cinnabon shop! I followed the original recipe to a T. The batter is very thick and a bit finicky to work with but I followed some suggestions to smooth the batter with a wet backed spoon.
Next time I would definitely halve the recipe or make them into little cupcakes. A full 9″ x 13″ pan of this coffee cake is no good for anyone’s waistline! But I guess you could freeze the cake in pieces to enjoy at a later time.
The cocoa helped to define the swirl in the cake but it was so finicky that I didn’t really get much of a swirl…more a stripe. I would reduce both the cinnamon sugar swirl and crumble topping by 1/3.There was just a bit too much sugar for even my sweetest tooth! I can hear my dentist cringing now.
All in all, it was pretty tasty and is definitely more economical to make your own rather than buying piece by piece at the coffee shop.
(This recipe is just slightly modified from this one)
Starbuck’s Copy Cat Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 500g tub of sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Combine flour, sugar, and salt in bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands until mixture looks like coarse sand. Cover and refrigerate.
Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl:
Mix ingredients in small bowl.
Sour Cream Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9″×13″ baking pan.In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl as needed.
3. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
4. Add the dry ingredients by thirds, only until each addition is just incorporated. Do not over mix.
5. Pour one third of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle one third chocolate cinnamon swirl mixture over batter
6. Spoon half of remaining batter over the swirl mixture and spread it evenly.
7. Repeat layers.
8. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the top last layer.
9. Bake in the centre of the oven for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
What’s your fave coffee accompaniment??